In this series, we’re working on developing our skills in communicating with our soul/psyche. Your soul always sees the bigger picture, in fact it sees the biggest possible picture of All That Is. Your soul is always connected to what I call The Essence of Life – also called Source, God/dess, or Higher Power.
Through the soul’s connection with the Essence, it is connected to everything else in the web of Life . When you connect with your soul, you receive information the same way you might ask a librarian for a book on a particular topic. She’ll know where it is and retrieve it for you – and it’s up to you to learn how to read it and how to integrate what you’ve learned into your own life.
Note: there are some psychic skills (channeling and mediumship are two of the most common) that seem like they’re bypassing the soul. In the biggest possible picture … that’s impossible. You are your soul – your soul is you – there can never be a separation. However, it might seem that way from your perspective. And, you might discover yourself connecting with beings in the unseen/spiritual worlds without the guidance of yourself. Oh, your soul is still/always offering guidance, you just don’t hear it. I always start teaching with the basic skills of how to connect with your soul. Learning to hear and discern your soul’s voice so that you can be guided by yourSelf every step of the way is the most powerful way of developing your skills in the psychic realm.
Last week, you had the opportunity to do the first level of practice for breathing, meditation, and visualization practices. These are the basis of many psychic skills. This week we’ll continue with those skills.
I recommend keeping a journal or notebook and after each practice, write down your experiences, your feelings, and your thoughts.
Breath is life. Breath is rhythm. Breathe connects us immediately and directly with our environment. As you breathe in, you are taking in a bit of everything that physically surrounds you in the moment. As you breathe out, you are sharing part of your biochemical body with whoever and whatever is nearby. Breathing is intimate.
Listen to your breath. If it’s quiet enough, you can hear how similar it is to a quiet ocean breaking along the shore as small waves flow in and ebb away.
- Imagine a point about two feet above your head
- Imagine a point about two feet below your feet in the earth*
- Imagine a channel of light that connects those two points
Breathe in from the point above your head into your belly. Allow your belly to expand. Breathe out from your belly to the point below your feet in the earth.
Breathe in from the point below your feet in the earth into your belly Allow your belly to expand. Breathe out from your belly to the point above your head.
Continue to do this breath for 3 to 5 minutes. You can also imagine that the breathe you inhale and exhale is a golden, silver, or white light.
* I know that sometimes you’re doing this practice in a place that is not at ground level. Extend your imagination so that you still experience that point in the earth below your feet.
If you already have a meditation practice, simply continue it. No change is necessary – like breathing practice it is a form of awareness that will be key as you move into developing your psychic skills, your communication with your soul.
If you don’t have a meditation practice, I recommend you begin one. Like breathing, meditation is key to developing your psychic skills – and beyond that, to improving your physical, mental, and emotional health. If you would like some resources, see last week’s post.
We’ll enhance the candle gazing practice by adding one more element. Remember, this is a skill used to quiet the mind, become focused in the body, and to develop your awareness.
Assume a comfortable seated position. Light a candle and place it two feet in front of you, with the flame positioned at eye level. Make sure the lighting is dim, close any windows if there is a breeze coming in and turn off any fans.
- Close your eyes and begin by following your breath, in and out, until you feel centered in your body.
- Open your eyes and rest your gaze on the middle part of the flame, right above the tip of the wick. Keep your eyes focused on that point.
- As you gaze at the flame, imagine that you are breathing in the warmth and light to your heart. As you breathe out, release anything that may be troubling your heart.
- Continue to breathe in light and warmth and breathe out whatever is troubling you.
- After 3 – 5 minutes, close your eyes and observe the afterimage of the flame in your mind’s eye until the impression disappears.
- Continue to breathe in light and warmth of the inner image of the flame and breathe out whatever is troubling you until you no longer see the image in our mind.
If you have any questions about what you’re learning here, please leave them in the comments below and I can address them in a post.
PSYCHIC SKILLS SERIES
- How to Develop Your Psychic Skills – Part 1
- Strength Card
- Full Moon in Virgo
- Momentous Toast
- How to Develop Your Psychic Skills – Part 2
I offer one-time readings, classes, and longer term spiritual mentoring and coaching.
Please get in touch if you are interested in working with me.
Together, we can explore new directions for your life.
My intention is for this blog to be an interactive and supportive community
focused around using practical spirituality in your daily life.
You can help! Please share this with friends or on social media;
leave your comments, suggestions, insights, and questions in the comment section below.